#2339, b. circa 1765, d. after 1836
Robert Hutton|b. c 1765\nd. a 1836|p2339.htm|Unknown Hutton|b. a 1730|p2340.htm||||||||||||||||
- Father*: Unknown Hutton1 b. a 1730
- Charts: Descendant Chart for Hutton
- Birth*: Robert Hutton was born circa 1765 at Ireland; IGI has Robert Hutton born in Belfast in 1769 - no source.1,2
- He was the son of Unknown Hutton.1
- Census*: Robert Hutton appeared on the census of 1830 at Anne Arundel, MD, US, ; Hutton, Robert G. 50s, 1 male<5, 2 males 5-10, 1 female 5-10, 3 females 15-20, 1 female 40s, 1 female 60s, 1 female 70s.2
- Occupation*: He was a grocer in 1833, site of Hutton Robert & Co. in 1837 between 1833 and 1837 at 24 Baltimore St., Baltimore, MD, US.3
- Residence: He and James Hutton resided between 1833 and 1838 at 24 Baltimore St., Baltimore, MD, US; It appears James Hutton shared this dwelling with his brother Robert who appears to have predeceased him or at least was not mentioned again after James' will was written in 1836. James bequeathed his dwelling and storerooms to his nephew Robert in his will written in 1836, certified in 1838, and settled in 1841. However, G.M.Hutton was living there in 1842. Margaret Hutton then bought the property in 1843 after her brother Robert died and his property was sold at auction. The property was described as abutting a lot owned by William Hutton - do not know if this is some relation. The property was then sold in 1848 following her death (was numbered 125 Baltimore St.).3,1,4,5,6
- Death*: Robert Hutton died after 1836 since he was named in his brother James' will when it was written in 1836.1
- (Witness) Will: He witnessed the will of James Hutton on 20 February 1838 at Baltimore, MD, US; written on 15 Jun 1836, confirmed as his last will and testament on 20 Feb 1838, property dispersed on 15 May 1841.
He left the following:
To his nephew Robert Hutton, his dwelling house, store rooms, and lot on the north side of Baltimore Street (#24), also his warehouse on the east side of South Street (#75), 20 shares of stock in Baltimore Water Co., 10 shares of B&O RR stock, and $3,000 in cash.
To his nephew Gaun McRobert Hutton, his warehouse and lot on the southwest corner of Pratt & Light Streets (#1 Light St.), right of Wharf and Wharfage in front thereof, also one undivided half part of his dwelling and lot on the west side of North Street, also 7 shares of stock in Bank of Baltimore, also 68 shares of stock in Commercial & Farmer's Bank of Baltimore, also 20 shares of stock in Merchants Bank of Baltimore, 15 shares of B&O RR stock, and his portrait by Harden (John Harden, English artist).
To both Robert and Gaun in trust to pay or suffer to be paid to his niece Jane Hutton, the warehouse and ground south of and adjoining #1 Light Street (#2 Light Street), right of Wharf and Wharfage in front thereof, an undivided half of his dwelling and lot on North Street, his lot on the east side of Harrison St. now under lease to ___ Wilcox for 99 years renewable forever, yielding a yearly rent of $75, also 14 shares of stock in Merchants Bank of Baltimore, 10 shares of B&O RR stock.
To both Robert and Gaun in trust to pay or suffer to be paid to his niece Margaret Hutton, his 3-story house and lot on the south side of Baltimore Street between Calvert & Light Streets (#125), also 20 shares of B&O RR stock, also 10 shares of stock in Merchants Banks of Baltimore.
To his nephew John Wilson of Baltimore and his niece Bell his wife, 10 shares of stock in Maryland Insurance Co., 9 shares of stock in Baltimore Insurance Co., 20 shares of B&O RR stock, 10 shares of Merchants Bank stock, and $12,000 in cash.
To his beloved sister Rose Richey of Ireland, $7,000 in cash, or in the event of her predeceasing him, to her son James Richey $4,000, her son John Richey $2,000, and her daughter Bell Roney $1,000.
To his nephew John Hutton, brother of Robert and Gaun, $3,000.
To his nephew James Hutton, brother of Robert and Gaun, $4,000.
To his nephew Edward Maxwell Wilson $4,000.
To his nephew William Hutton Wilson $3,000.
To his nephew Thomas Wilson $2,000.
To his niece Mary Hamilton $2,000.
To his niece Jane Hughes $2,000.
To his nephew John Sinton(sp?) $2,000.
He leaves his brother Robert Hutton nothing as he is a wealthy man and desires nothing from him.
He leaves his negro woman Rachel to his niece Jane Hutton, his negro girl Sarah to his niece Margaret Hutton, and his negro boy John to Gaun Hutton.
He leaves the rest to his 2 nephews Robert and Gaun to share and share alike.
He appoints Robert Hutton, Gaun M. Hutton, and John Wilson as the executors of his will.
In a codicil he wants to: "give and devise the whole of my household furniture and plate to my two nephews and two nieces, namely Robert Hutton, Gaun McRobert Hutton, Jane Hutton, and Margaret Hutton to be equally divided among them.”.1
- [S652] Baltimore County & Baltimore City Equity Papers, Index, Baltimore County (Chancery Papers) MSA C295 (http://www.msa.md.gov/msa/refserv/quickref/html/ba_bcequity.html: Maryland State Archives, 2007), MSA #: C295-2541 Accession #: 40,200-2523, Location: 2/15/13/27, #C304; Maryland State Archives.
- [S662] 1830 US Federal Census (Statistical Schedule), MD, Anne Arundel County (Database online, Provo, UT: MyFamily.com, 2005), ED1, sheet 78, image 17; http://www.ancestry.com, subscription database, (Digital scan of original records in the National Archives, Washington, DC).
- [S655] Compiled, Matchett's Baltimore Directory (Baltimore, MD: Matchett, 1840-1850),1833, 1837; Baltimore City Archives, 211 East Pleasant Street, Baltimore, MD, US.
- [S653] Maryland Chancery Papers 1843, MSA S 1432 (http://www.msa.md.gov/msa/stagser/s1400/s1432/html/s1432aaa.html: Maryland State Archives, 2007), Accession No: 17,898-8300-1/2. MSA S512-8279, 1/38/3/85, #8300; Maryland State Archives.
- [S699] Maryland Chancery Papers 1848, MSA S512-10-8298 (http://www.msa.md.gov/msa/stagser/s500/s512/html/s512aa.html: Maryland State Archives, 2007), Recorded (Chancery Record) MSA S512-10-8298, Accession No.: 17,898-8317, Location: 1/38/3/86, C8319; Maryland State Archives.
- [S655] Compiled, Matchett's Baltimore Directory (Baltimore, MD: Matchett, 1840-1850),1842; Baltimore City Archives, 211 East Pleasant Street, Baltimore, MD, US.
- [S655] Compiled, Matchett's Baltimore Directory (Baltimore, MD: Matchett, 1840-1850),1837; Baltimore City Archives, 211 East Pleasant Street, Baltimore, MD, US.