#2348, b. circa 1798, d. 26 August 1843
James Hutton|b. c 1798\nd. 26 Aug 1843|p2348.htm|Robert Hutton|b. c 1765\nd. a 1836|p2339.htm||||Unknown Hutton|b. a 1730|p2340.htm||||||||||
- Father*: Robert Hutton1 b. c 1765, d. a 1836
- Charts: Descendant Chart for Hutton
- Birth*: James Hutton was born circa 1798.1
- He was the son of Robert Hutton.1
- Census: James Hutton appeared on the census of 1830 at Baltimore, MD, US, ; Hutten, James 30s, 1 male < 5, 1 female < 5, 1 female 20s.
Also, George and William Hutton, 30s, living in Ward 8 sheet 297.2
- (Witness) Will: He witnessed the will of James Hutton on 20 February 1838 at Baltimore, MD, US; written on 15 Jun 1836, confirmed as his last will and testament on 20 Feb 1838, property dispersed on 15 May 1841.
He left the following:
To his nephew Robert Hutton, his dwelling house, store rooms, and lot on the north side of Baltimore Street (#24), also his warehouse on the east side of South Street (#75), 20 shares of stock in Baltimore Water Co., 10 shares of B&O RR stock, and $3,000 in cash.
To his nephew Gaun McRobert Hutton, his warehouse and lot on the southwest corner of Pratt & Light Streets (#1 Light St.), right of Wharf and Wharfage in front thereof, also one undivided half part of his dwelling and lot on the west side of North Street, also 7 shares of stock in Bank of Baltimore, also 68 shares of stock in Commercial & Farmer's Bank of Baltimore, also 20 shares of stock in Merchants Bank of Baltimore, 15 shares of B&O RR stock, and his portrait by Harden (John Harden, English artist).
To both Robert and Gaun in trust to pay or suffer to be paid to his niece Jane Hutton, the warehouse and ground south of and adjoining #1 Light Street (#2 Light Street), right of Wharf and Wharfage in front thereof, an undivided half of his dwelling and lot on North Street, his lot on the east side of Harrison St. now under lease to ___ Wilcox for 99 years renewable forever, yielding a yearly rent of $75, also 14 shares of stock in Merchants Bank of Baltimore, 10 shares of B&O RR stock.
To both Robert and Gaun in trust to pay or suffer to be paid to his niece Margaret Hutton, his 3-story house and lot on the south side of Baltimore Street between Calvert & Light Streets (#125), also 20 shares of B&O RR stock, also 10 shares of stock in Merchants Banks of Baltimore.
To his nephew John Wilson of Baltimore and his niece Bell his wife, 10 shares of stock in Maryland Insurance Co., 9 shares of stock in Baltimore Insurance Co., 20 shares of B&O RR stock, 10 shares of Merchants Bank stock, and $12,000 in cash.
To his beloved sister Rose Richey of Ireland, $7,000 in cash, or in the event of her predeceasing him, to her son James Richey $4,000, her son John Richey $2,000, and her daughter Bell Roney $1,000.
To his nephew John Hutton, brother of Robert and Gaun, $3,000.
To his nephew James Hutton, brother of Robert and Gaun, $4,000.
To his nephew Edward Maxwell Wilson $4,000.
To his nephew William Hutton Wilson $3,000.
To his nephew Thomas Wilson $2,000.
To his niece Mary Hamilton $2,000.
To his niece Jane Hughes $2,000.
To his nephew John Sinton(sp?) $2,000.
He leaves his brother Robert Hutton nothing as he is a wealthy man and desires nothing from him.
He leaves his negro woman Rachel to his niece Jane Hutton, his negro girl Sarah to his niece Margaret Hutton, and his negro boy John to Gaun Hutton.
He leaves the rest to his 2 nephews Robert and Gaun to share and share alike.
He appoints Robert Hutton, Gaun M. Hutton, and John Wilson as the executors of his will.
In a codicil he wants to: "give and devise the whole of my household furniture and plate to my two nephews and two nieces, namely Robert Hutton, Gaun McRobert Hutton, Jane Hutton, and Margaret Hutton to be equally divided among them.”.1
- (Witness) Probate: James Hutton witnessed the probate of the estate of James Hutton on 15 May 1841 at Baltimore County Court, Baltimore, MD, US; Court documents show that Jane and Margaret Hutton were the sisters of Robert Hutton and Gaun McRobert Hutton, and were dispersing stock received via the will of their uncle, the late James Hutton. Jane and Margaret signed their consent to the sale of 24 shares of stock in Merchants Bank and reinvestment in State of Maryland stocks on 20 Jan 1842.1
- Death*: James Hutton died on 26 August 1843 at Baltimore, MD, US, Do not know if this is the same person.3
- [S652] Baltimore County & Baltimore City Equity Papers, Index, Baltimore County (Chancery Papers) MSA C295 (http://www.msa.md.gov/msa/refserv/quickref/html/ba_bcequity.html: Maryland State Archives, 2007), MSA #: C295-2541 Accession #: 40,200-2523, Location: 2/15/13/27, #C304; Maryland State Archives.
- [S545] 1830 US Federal Census (Statistical Schedule), MD, Baltimore County (Database online, Provo, UT: MyFamily.com, 2005), Ward 8, sheet 304, image 29; http://www.ancestry.com, subscription database, (Digital scan of original records in the National Archives, Washington, DC).
- [S664] Index to Marriages and Deaths iin the (Baltimore) Sun, 1837-1850 (n.pub.), 1837-1850, pg. 297; Family History Center.